You will need
1 box cake mix (or you know, whatever you want to do to make the cupcake)
1 Small box Jello mix (I suggest strawberry!)
Frosting of your choice (I suggest it be white in color)
1 bag mini marshmallows (Again, white gives the best look)
Various colored sugars of your choosing (Pastels are generally recommended)
Scissors (for cutting marshmallows)
Aluminum covered cupcake pan (look at the pics - keeps your pan clean)
Something to get your icing on the cupcake (like a knife or bag with a cut corner)
Small bowls/ramekins or baggies (1 for each colored sugar)
A large spoon (as in soup spoon/tablespoon)
- Bake your cupcakes and let them cool before frosting.
- While baking, make the petals for your cupcakes. Pour enough sugar into small bowls (I used little ramekins) to coat the marshmallows. (You could also just toss them in a baggie, but I didn't want to waste them)
- Cut your marshmallows along the diagonal and drop into the colored sugar. Toss them around, you'll notice the sugar sticks to the exposed centers. I used about 23-25 "petals" per cupcake.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the jello mix by heating the water and adding the mix. If you got the small box, it should be 1 cup. Do NOT add the cold water as indicated for making actual jello.
- Poke holes in the cupcakes using a fork or toothpick. Use a spoon to slowly pour the jello mix over the cupcake, focus on getting it into the holes you made if you can. I used 1-2 tablespoons per regular-sized cupcake.
- Frost the entire exposed top of the cupcake. It doesn't have to be perfect because you'll be covering it up. Frosting the entire exposed top helps them stay moist longer, as well!
- Start adding petals to your cupcake starting on the outside and going around and around until you can't fit anymore petals! I had about 3 "circles" plus the center trio on each cupcake.
- EAT EM!